2017 GUERIN MEMORIAL ESSAY CONTEST
2017 GUERIN MEMORIAL CONSERVATION ESSAY CONTEST
CONTEST IS OPEN TO ALL 7th - 12th GRADERS
(INCLUDING HOME SCHOOL STUDENTS)
Topic choices: Select ONE for a minimum 500 word essay
1.Explain how conservation practices used by landowners (farmers, ranchers, timber holders) can benefitwater quality in Coos County?
2.What conservation practices used by landowners and/or the public in Coos County are utilized to protectsoil and decrease erosion?
3.How have farming, ranching, or timber land management practices changed over the last 100 years toprotect the environment and water quality in Coos County?
4.What are some ways that people in agricultural production in Coos County can protect the fertility of theirsoil?
5.How might water scarcity or quality affect agriculture in Coos County?
Deadline for submitting essays is November 12, 2017 at 4pm.
Please mail or deliver FOUR copies of your essay to:
Coos Soil & Water Conservation District
379 North Adams Street
Coquille, OR 97423
- Essays must be a minimum of 500 words
- All entries must be typed, or handwritten neatly in ink.
- Email essays to firstname.lastname@example.org, put "Guerin Essay" in subject line.
- Prizes are awarded at Coos SWCD¡¦s annual meeting on December 7th, 2017
- First place winner has name engraved on traveling plaque
- All winning names announced in future Coos SWCD publications
Contact Coos SWCD with any questions at 541-396-6879
$150 - First Place
$125 - Second Place
$100 - Third Place