Guerin Memorial Essay Contest
ATTN: Coos County Students
7th through 12th grade
Topic Choices...select ONE for a minimum 500 word essay
1. Explain how conservation practices used by landowners (farmers, ranchers, timber holders) can benefit water quality in Coos County.
2. What conservation practices used by landowners and/or the public in Coos County are utilized to protect soil and decrease erosion?
3. How have farming, ranching, or timber land management practices changed over the last 100 years to protect the environment and water quality in Coos County?
4. What are some ways that people in agricultural production in Coos County can protect the fertility of their soil?
5. How might water scarcity or quality affect agriculture in Coos County?
6. What is a riparian zone, and why is it important? How does a healthy riparian zone affect water quality?
7. Research and explain the concept of a 'working landscape' as it pertains to conservation. Include the social, economic, environmental, and agricultural relationships in your essay.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING ESSAY IS OCTOBER 12, 2018 AT 4PM
Please mail FOUR copies of your essay to
Coos Soil & Water Conservation District
379 North Adams Street
Coquille, OR 97423
*All entries student's name, phone number, school name, grade, and topic chosen.
*Essay must be a minimum of 500 words.
*All entries must be typed or written in ink.
*Faxed or email essays will NOT be accepted.
*Prizes are awarded at Coos SWCD's annual meeting in December 2018.
*First place winner has name engraved on traveling plaque to be held at their school for that year.
*All winning names are announced in future Coos SWCD's publications (newsletter, annual report, website, social media, etc.).
*Contact Coos SWCD for further information at 541.396.6879.
1ST PLACE - $150
2ND PLACE - $125
3RD PLACE - $100
Congratulations to our 2017 winners!
1st place - Jack Isenhart
2nd place - Preston Drake
3rd place - Jeffrey Varga
The above document(s) are Adobe® Acrobat® PDF files and may be viewed using the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™. Most newer web browsers already contain the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ plug-in. However, if you need it, click on the "Get Acrobat® Reader™" icon to download it now.